Saturday 19 September 2015

The Feelings of Silence

His smile was slight, but I saw it.  There was an awkwardness between us that I didn't really understand.
"It's weird,"  He sighed.  Before I could ask what he meant he continued, "How we feel about each other."  A silence hung between us and I blinked, not knowing what to say.  We were walking now.  "How we feel so much towards one another but we don't hold hands or hug or--"  He paused for a second, "Kiss."
I felt my face burn, but I agreed.  We began walking between the trees quietly, and all I wanted to do was reach out for his hand and pull it into mine.  I wanted to look at his face and let his mouth draw my own in.
But I couldn't make myself do it.  It seemed that even though I wanted to so badly and even to have his reassurance about how we both felt, I just... couldn't do it.
I wondered why.
Looking back, I thought about our strange relationship.
It seemed as though no matter what I did or didn't do nothing changed.  It seemed like there was always an invisible wall.
I wondered if he tried to kiss me whether or not our lips would actually meet.  It felt strange thinking about it.
I don't think they would meet.
But I wanted them to.
The silence seemed like a wall too.  Something we couldn't really get past.  It made my heart heavy not being able to.
I turned to face him and watched his lips move into words.  But nothing came out.  I squinted and asked his to repeat himself.  I watched him laugh and 'speak' again.  But again, nothing came out.
It felt like he was further than ever.
I reached forward, but the gap grew.  He tilted his head in confusion and opened his mouth again.
"I miss you,"  His voice sounded like he was speaking under water.
I brought my hands to my face, and I felt a subtle dampness under my eyes.
I choked, "I miss you too."
The distance grew, and the trees seemed to thicken.
He spoke again.
"I can't--" My throat cracked, "I can't hear you."
His face fell with sadness.  He tried again.  I read his lips.
I was falling in love.
My heart broke.
"I was too,"  I brushed away tears, "I was too."

No comments:

Post a Comment